One person's outlook on the use of employer weight loss incentives with his own personal twist...BD

Well, I am still fat. But now my wife, who is desperate, for some reason, to keep me around for a very long time, is turning the economics of obesity on its head, agreeing to provide me financial incentives to finally drop the pounds. It is a peculiar strategy, but it's not without merit: Economists have recently shown that if you pay people enough money, they will lose significant weight. Corporate America is starting to integrate cash incentives into wellness plans in hopes of reducing its health-care costs.

There are two ways to solve this problem. One: Lose weight. That would require exercise, which would take up time that I prefer using for less strenuous activities, like doing nothing. Or two: Take blood pressure medicine. My insurance company requires no co-payments for generic drugs, so I can theoretically mask the problem for free.

I chose the drugs and am thusly always on the prowl for beef. So, apparently, are millions of other Americans....We seem to be healthier fat people, but we're not cheap for the health-care system -- or our employers.

An Economy of Scales - washingtonpost.com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative