opinion article from USA today, all you need to join is a past or future medical bill...BD

The night before a recent CT scan, I saw Sicko, Michael Moore's documentary on the health care system. The next morning, instead of my usual willful numbness during regular medical procedures, I felt a low fever of outrage at the nonchalant clerks who came in late, at the doctors who managed to screw up the semiannual order (I don't get iodine because I'm allergic) and the thousands of dollars this brief photo op would cost. This is no horror story. I was angry at my powerlessness and my routine subservience to the system lest it inconvenience me further or kill me: I commiserated with the clerks who had kept me waiting Oh, yeah, trains run late and it's really terrible having to stand in line at Starbucks; I cajoled the technicians into calling the doctor's office and having the order changed so we could proceed, and I forced myself not to think about all the people who were not adequately covered (I have Medicare and supplements) and couldn't afford my level of cancer treatment and follow-up.

USATODAY.com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative