First graduating class of American Medical students arriving back in the US to pass medical tests.  Cashed in on the scholarship offered by Cuba...Medical students are exempt from the normal restrictions of travel to Cuba...BD 

OAKLAND, Calif., Oct. 18, 2007 (KGO) - A young East Bay woman is anxious to get started on her career in medicine, and she has Fidel Castro to thank for it. She was part of the first graduating class of American med students who studied in Cuba under a free, full-ride scholarship.

The offer was for a full six-year scholarship to the Latin American School of Medicine in Havana, Cuba. "I thought it was a great opportunity, almost too good to be true," says Kenya Bingham. Twenty-nine-year-old Kenya Bingham eagerly seized the opportunity. Her only obligation was to return to the United States and practice medicine in an underserved community.

"It's a verbal oath. It's not anything that we signed, and it's written. It's kind of like your own conscience," explains Bingham. "Once you become a doctor and you haven't paid anything for it, I mean, there are expenses, but your actual tuition, room and board is free, and think that. Then you, you know, it's just humanity, you want to give back and try and change. That's why you're a doctor."

"It did occur to me. It could be a possibility, however, I mean the fact of the matter is I'm a medical doctor now. I'm an M.D., and so that's neither here or there for me. I'm going to come back and I'm going to have patients and I'm going to help people get better and I'm actually going to do more preventive care to prevent disease and sickness," says Kenya Bingham.

Now she just has to pass the tests in this country that will enable her to continue to pursue her dream.

abc7news.com: Free Medical Degree With Just One Small Catch

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative