How long will that new knee or hip last and what failure or issues can be predicted?  There is a study looking at this issue right now.  We have all heard and seen the videos with squeaking hips, knees, etc. and some with by far worse issues.

Some fail overall, but not many, but the issue is still there.  Knee and hip surgeries have to be the most common types of surgery today, but like everything else, we need to know what is going in to our body and have some assurance that it will be there to work for us.  Nobody wants to revisit the surgery room for a replacement. "How many years do you have on that knee before it's time to replace it".  Recalls are not fun either when it comes to implanted medical devices, after all we are are cars.  image

Technology is at a state with such rapid improvements, that sometimes things are perhaps out there a little too fast before all the known adverse effects are known, just ask the FDA about that matter and I' sure they would have no end to a pool of information.  This is not unique to healthcare, it's every business, but healthcare is us and is still the human business so software, hardware, devices issues are what we all want to be aware of, so read up whenever you can!  BD 

It seems that newer medical techniques that are used in hip and knee replacements require revisions at a greater rate that older, established methods. British researchers report that one in about 75 people required repeat hip and knee replacements in the three years following the original procedure. The study was published in the journal PLoS Medicine.

Study: Newer Joint Replacements Require More Revisions

6 comments :

  1. Hip replacements have positive effect on elderly patients. Technological advancement has the process to last long but in the case of active people or younger ones, they need another surgery to replace the worn out artificial hip joint after 15 or 20 years. To know more about hip replacement visit the link below
    know more, click here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on my research a total knee replacement or total hip replacement can last 10 to 15 years. There had been recorded unsuccessful surgeries and complications recorded after the surgery and it's good to know that studies are being done to resolve some of these issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's still much we will learn as time goes on too. My mother has 2 knees and is 84 and it seems of late they are wearing out a bit, but at least she didn't get any of the ones that squeak, I posted a You Tube video a man did of his squeaking while he walked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should ask valuemedicare. I went to India for my hip replacement surgery. Actually it was not because of the money but endless wait that I had to do for my surgery at Charlottetown. I decided to do my surgery in India. I contacted a medical tourism company www.valuemedicare.com they were great. They helped me with everything. The standard of healthcare in India is much better than Canada and if you are suffering due to long wait time it is better to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had hip replacement 12 years ago when I was in my mid 30's and it's just about to go bad. I had knee replacement 2 years ago and if I could get a new one in the morning, I would. It's been a pretty bad experience, but living with a bad knee was even worse. I am grateful for the current procedures, but am looking forward to advancements and improvements in the area of joint replacement.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative