Web 2.0 no doubt is having a big effect on the trend....not to mention security...I use my cell phone all the time via Bluetooth to access the web via my tablet all the time, as needed...I don't require as much time as many, thus the $15.00 a month charge from Verizon for unlimited data with tethering my cell phone to my tablet works for me...how can you not be mobile today...BD

Mark my words: The enterprise will be moving away from relying on Wi-Fi hot spots in favor of mobile broadband connectivity. Say you're a salesperson making an office visit to sell a doctor on a new drug, and the doctor says, "I need a lot more information before I consider this."

Balky Wi-Fi access and bulky brochures may not help you get it done. But if you have cellular data access via a PC Card, USB stick, or technology already embedded imagein the laptop, you have nothing to fear. image

And the industry is already moving in this direction, as Verizon has deals in place with almost all of the major laptop OEMs, and Lenovo just announced a deal with Ericsson.

Web 2.0 and SaaS
We are all witnessing the end of packaged applications and the emergence of hosted Web 2.0 apps and SaaS (software as a service). As the enterprise adopts this model, again driven from the bottom up, the need for capable devices that can do serious computing while in the field makes wide-area connectivity in a laptop (or tablet) a must-have.

Reality Check | Ephraim Schwartz | InfoWorld | Make way for mobile broadband | February 12, 2008 03:00 AM | By Ephraim Schwartz

Hat Tip:  http://www.tabletpctalk.com/newsarticles.shtml#newsitemEkpklklFFyLBlGUPjJ

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative