Great article about seniors using the Sahara I440D tablet PC...of course this is the one we give our top vote.  Not having a keyboard is also a huge convenience for the seniors as they can easily use the touch-screen to navigate the web, and then switch to the digitizer pen to continue on with some other production type activities...life without a keyboard can be easy and fun...BD

"My husband isn't home tonight. Would you like to..." reads the suggestive email on the computer screen.

Obviously, the sender has no idea that the recipient is 78-year-old grandmother Kikue Kamata.

"What does she want me to do?" an amused Kamata says. "I know I shouldn't open spam but sometimes I do because it's fun."

A high tech granny used to be considered an oxymoron. But in Japan, with its love of technology and a declining birth rate, a growing number of elderly are learning to surf the internet, finding it to be a crucial lifeline.                    

"I turn on my computer the first thing in the morning. It's a pleasure to see the e-mail that came overnight," says Kamata's friend, Roko Shinohara.

The absence of keyboards is a great relief for Japanese seniors who grew up in a culture that values handwriting rather than typing.

Meet the gang at the Computer Grannies Society - web - Technology - smh.com.au

Hat Tip:  Gottabemobile  (Thanks for the story!)

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative