What happens when a physician has a needle stick from an AIDS patient...thank goodness the infectious disease doctor was available and on duty....real time stress for the physician...BD 

After rounds, I hurried down to the ER where I was fortunate to find one of the Infectious Disease fellows moonlighting as faculty. He tried his best to reassure me that the odds were in my favor, but freaking hell, I had just been badly stuck with a dirty needle carrying the blood of a critically ill AIDS patient.

The only preventive option at that time was AZT, so I eagerly filled the prescription and started taking the medication five times per day, as directed. The GI side effects were so intolerable that I only lasted one week of the recommended six, deciding to take my chances instead.

Scalpel or Sword?: My First Needlestick - Part 2

Hat Tip:  Kevin, MD

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative