Great story and entertaining.  Sometimes things go a little differently in the delivery room.  Sometimes the unorthodox works!  In this case the doctor was a true hero and is by far not the only coach to be known to use the word, just watch your next favorite sporting event.   BD 

image “By the end of the second hour of pushing, the primigravida was hot and exhausted and MAD. "I hate this," she announced, revealing an emotional age of 12 beneath her chronological age of 24. "I hate it, I hate it, I hate it." I was pretty hot and tired too. Coaching is a lot of work. "I know you do," I said kindly. "Everyone does, but this is how women give birth. You can do it." "No I CAN'T!" she said, and went back to pushing and crying, pushing and hollering. By the time we'd reached the two-and-a-half hour mark, she was swearing like a sailor. "I f***ing hate this!" she cried. "This f***ing hurts. I can't f***ing do this.”

“The next day, I was the talk of the hospital. "Your patient is telling everyone how awesome you are," the charge nurse told me the next day. "She's telling everyone 'That doctor told me exactly what I needed to hear. She knew exactly what I needed to have my baby.'"

“The moral of this story: Nice doesn't always work. Sometimes the F-word is your best friend.”

Rural Doctoring: Birth Story #416: Rural Doc Uses the F-Word

Hat Tip:  Kevin, MD

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative