This occurred in the pediatrics area of Summerlin Hospital and they didn’t realize the woman being treated had TB and died later, and an autopsy discovered the TB bacteria. She gave birth to twins and one of the babies died. Now letters have gone out for all who could have been exposed to come in for testing. One hospital worker has the active form of the disease along with one other patient. About 140 had contact with the hospital worker.
Class action lawsuits have been filed against the hospital. The video states the mother drank non pasteurized milk and that could have been at the root. 59 in all have tested positive but only the two were active to where they could pass the disease along and be contagious. Two antibiotics most commonly used are isoniazid and rifampicin. BD
Fifty-nine people have tested positive for tuberculosis after being exposed at a Nevada hospital neonatal intensive care unit, according to a report issued by the Southern Nevada Health District.
Dr. Christopher Ohl, an infectious disease expert at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, said an outbreak this large tied to a hospital is "extremely unusual."
"Unfortunately, this situation is a hospital epidemiologist's worst nightmare as neonates are highly susceptible to contracting TB and their infections can progress quite rapidly," he said.
A mother and her newborn twins died of tuberculosis at Summerlin Hospital over the summer, prompting an investigation by the Southern Nevada Health District.
Hospital staff didn't realize the infected woman had tuberculosis until after she and one of the twins died and they performed an autopsy, according to KTNV, ABC's Las Vegas affiliate. The other twin was in the NICU being treated without being under quarantine.