You can read the full report here.  I looked through and saw nothing new other than was has bee reported for a few years no.  There were mentions of the World Privacy Forum report which I covered here which was done very well and fair.image  Read it if you have not.

World Privacy Forum Report - The Scoring of America: How Secret Consumer Scores Threaten Your Privacy and Your Future - One Big Element that Fuels the Continued Attack of Killer Algorithms & Demise of the Middle Class Creating Profiteering And/Or Denial of Access

It talked a bit about the Data Brokers and how they should be more transparent, well that’s fine for the ones we know about but there’s a whole other world of data sellers we don’t know about who “score” us where we don’t have access to the information or the proprietary formula used and there’s huge areas for errors here.  We all know about big data and how errors hurt consumers.  I started a series of blog posts called “The Attack of the Killer Algorithms” 3 years ago, bringing this to light, so again nothing new here at all.  If you can find any real substantiation or anything that was really substantial let me know as I could not see anything and as a matter of fact it’s almost embarrassing to see how far behind the White House in doing this report as well.

Shoot I have had enough of my own flawed data mining to include Google who’s machine learning said I was a real duck and my real name that works in the real world everywhere else was not “machine compliant” over there.  A couple years ago I had my car insurance do a bad address match and decided to put two drivers on a secondary on my policy.  I sold my house 9 months prior so their data mining was not current and they just took two names and my old address and assumed I had left out information (I was a bad girl data wise:) and added it.  This is the danger that these folks just don’t get with flawed data. 

I did see where they recommended that the Consumer Financial Protection Office learn more about modern data technologies but shoot I covered that as soon as they appointed Richard Cordray, another lawyer focused on verbiage while computer code “runs hog ass wild”. 

Richard Cordray, Fail With Understanding Flawed Models and Algorithms -Big Case of“Algo Duping”With Big Data-Save Time, Hire Quants Who Know How Consumer Financial Models Are Built and Function…Geez

We had a “tiny” bit of action of late from the FTC, but again we have lawyers over there too with focusing on verbiage so one broker got fined, couldn’t pay and got his million dollar fine reduced to $60,000.  If you were a patient with that big dollar amount of medical bills, then you go to bankruptcy court, so again verbiage and code “runs hog ass wild” for profit.  Nowhere did it mention the cause of a lot of privacy violations-data selling and the easy money they make.  Data sellers don’t even care if it is flawed as they have the best free labor in the world, which is us as we have to correct everything they get wrong that denies us access or money.

Two Data Brokers Get Fined by the FTC For Non Compliance, One Gets Most All Of The Million Dollar Fine Reduced as They Could Not Afford To Pay By the Court, But If You Are A Consumer With Medical Bills You Go To Bankruptcy Court..

Here’s another post I made 2 years ago…déjà vu once again as it’s happening.

Big Data/Analytics If Used Out of context and Without True Values Stand To Be A Huge Discriminatory Practice Against Consumers–More Honest Data Scientists Needed to Formulate Accuracy/Value To Keep Algo Duping For Profit Out of the Game

Again I am just floored on how anything can be regulated without an index and the purpose of that would be to identify all data sellers and actually give law enforcement a little leg to stand on as those selling without a license could be stopped. 

Time Has Come to License and Tax the Data Sellers of the Web, Companies, Banks, Social Networks..Any One Making a Profit-Consumers Deserve to Know What Is Being Sold and To Who in a Searchable Format

Again I guess I was hoping for more but it’s the same old same old that we have at HHS, SEC, and so on with non tech folks running agencies where they have no working data mechanics knowledge and by the time they even catch up, the folks on the other side have switched business models I might guess at least 10 times if not more.  I just saw it as yet another one of these “virtual” things out there that was written to show some action.  Even on the White House website, I do wonder how long folks will actually grow tired of filling out forms on the site to show interest in topics as we all know that stuff goes nowhere now but it does make one feel like they are doing something, not much different than other websites on the internet that want to take up your time with filling in all kinds of information, stuff just fills a data base somewhere and sites other than the White House will look to see if they can a buck off of selling it. 

This is just my opinion, I can’t find any real value in it as there’s nothing going on other that saying what we already know is happening and I wonder was this just an effort to “do something”?   I just keep seeing “those corporate algorithm balls getting bigger” for the most part.  There are recommendations that basically pass this along to Congress for them to do something…ho hum…as most of that group I don’t think can dig in full enough here either.  The report goes into the confused “virtual” world then I suppose as that’s what it is and I don’t think that we can get to the point to where folks realize how stuff comes creeping out of virtual worlds and impacts the real world…

Virtual Worlds, Real World We Have A Problem And It’s A Big One With A Lot of Gray Areas Finding Where The Defining Lines Exist, Confusing Many With A Lot of Weird Values And Strange Perceptions…

Sadly “The Grays” mentioned at the link above live on I guess.  BD 

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/big_data_privacy_report_may_1_2014.pdf

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative