Robin Roberts, describes her journey with breast cancer, and October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  Good story and information.  Nice that she decided to go public and describe, losing your hair and other things that go along with the imagetreatment.  There’s a video on on site.  It shows 7 months of treatment, chemo and then radiation.  Now she is back and working and explains how the process all works, stressful and a lot of unknowns.  BD

I decided to continue working during treatment and reveal my diagnosis on the air. It was a hard decision, and my mother really helped me, because she was the one who basically said, "We don't roll like that. That's now how we do it." She said, "In our family, it's been about being of service to others. It's not about us.

What helped me to get that thought out of my mind was to keep working. I was craving normalcy. I tried to tell my oncologist, "OK, tell you what, this is how it's gonna go, doctor: So, I'll have chemo on Friday, rest on the weekend, and I'll be back sitting next to Diane on Monday."

imageFor some reason, I decided to go to the Middle East with the first lady, Laura. Bush. She had invited me. I asked my doctors and they said, "Well, it's a bit ambitious. People don't normally travel to Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia in the middle of chemotherapy." And I was kind of looking at them like, "Yeah, and ...?" 

It was easier getting permission from the doctors than it was getting permission from my mom to go on the trip. But she understood the importance of it to me. I had to take the entire week off following the trip. … I couldn't get out of bed. I was spent.

Watch Robin Roberts personal journey tonight on "Nightline" at 11:35 p.m. ET and Click Here to read an excerpt from her book.

ABC News: Cancer Isn't One Size Fits All

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative