I can fully understand the efforts of the auditors and recreating what they found with data, but it all comes back once more to context and again we live too heavily in virtual worlds today where flawed data is also on the rise.  Sure the auditors are going to piece together everything as best they can, but there was way too much coverage on the news on this.  I’m there were folks that even took in more than I did. 

I just quickly breezed through the report which a long pdf and spent time reading the summary as well.  I also said when this situation first erupted that this was the issue with the administrators at the VA living too much in the virtual world.  If you happened to watch one report from Anderson Cooper, he commented and walked away with the same perception “all they talked about were their numbers”.  So again a report like this is not going to be completely conclusive and maybe it’s the news media tweaking the title here a bit too? 

We know there was only one urologist on staff and that patients were having to wait or be sent to other facilities, sometimes hundreds of miles away due to this fact so you can’t sit here and say that the delays didn’t play a role with patient deaths.  Again there was just way too much here.  The software, didn’t have an audit table on the changing of appointments so we have to take their word on the paper and some of the changes as again all of that is not 100% accurate either.

What we did have though at the VA in Phoenix were good doctors that had a conscience and felt the need to report what was going on as unlike the OIG at the VA or any other government entity, doctors deal with the “real” world and there’s a name for that and it’s called “patients”.  I used to be a developer and data base person and I know all about users finding shortcuts or something that I missed in my software, it happens and I would have been mad myself if those scheduling errors had not been reported to me for fixing if I were in on the development group, but users don’t always do that.  I’ve seen people just literally fight a program and find their own little short cuts and take 2-3 times the amount of time to do something rather than to tell me so I could do a fix.  They do that.

As I said here, this is just the tip of the iceberg with all of this and a big tip it is. 

VA Crisis Just The Tip of the Iceberg As US Needs a Full On Healthcare Culture Change Everywhere To Get Back In Touch With the Real World of Patients…

The administrators, like folks in other places were a bunch of stat rats and there’s a lot of that out there and I write about it all the time.  Again being I was a developer and partly due to the way I’m wired I can pick it like a sore thumb. 

VA Crisis Should Be A Huge Wake Up Call , We Have Turned Into a Nation of “Stat Rats”, Losing Touch With the “Real” World As Virtual Values Confuse, Collide and Wreak Havoc As Models & Formulas Fail

Sure we knew there would be numbers but by all means this does not lessen the impact of what happened with the neglect at the Phoenix VA hospital or anywhere else in the system. 

I don’t care whether they stated they could not conclusively confirm that patients died, we know they did and what we end up with is quantitated justifications here that are only numbers with a bit of “Algo duping” tossed in. 

Quantitated Justification For Believing Things That Are Not True And Using Mathematical Processes To Fool Ourselves-The Journalistic Bot Functionality Debuts As Media Can’t Resist the Formulas…

Scroll down and watch video number one and then think about the VA situation again, and see if your perceptions reflect what’s in this report and I can almost bet your skepticism will grow.  BD 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/delays-necessarily-veteran-deaths-va-report-finds/story?id=25134189

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative