So we are talking about some very expensive projects here based on a “proof of concept” that dives in the real world again.  How many of these have we seen?  I know I’m not the only one on the web who is expressing this distaste for all of the apps and wearables devices out there by a long shot.  You want to know how we really feel?  We’re sick and tired of reading about your stuff (grin), little humor there but we really are.  We don’t care how good it is as if we don’t find value, we are not going there. 

Sure there’s big VC money spent and thus so there’s the pressure to “make those humans conform” to my proof of concept, and that’s pretty much what it is.  I don’t know of anyone in the “real” world that wants to embrace stats on themselves night and day.  We need to get away from it and certainly a casual encounter with some data is ok, but that’s not what we get.  “You have to wear these devices and you have to embrace the data”…well truth of the matter is we don’t have to do either and if wearables were so hot, everyone would be wearing them and rushing out to buy like they do the new IPhones.

Everything designed in software doesn’t work, I don’t care how good the model is, models fail every day.  In addition we have this privacy thing and I’m an advocate by accident as I never planned to get into it the way I am now but being a former developer I know how code can be written and compiled and the users have no clue what’s on the other side, just a developers word.  What’s that worth?  It’s supposed to be worth a lot but it’s not as we have no transparency and get suck with these legal privacy statements to try and figure out.  That right there is enough to make anyone walk and give it up.  I find the same folks though who do like these things also complaining about when Facebook does one of their so called “scientific” studies.  They’re brainwashed on where the real power and control is.   I call it Algo Duping.   A couple professors I chat with liked that name as a matter of fact:)

As consumers reading the web, again we’re just flat out sick of it and all the articles and so called booby trap type studies that go along with it.  I see the White House using “junk science” numbers and that saddens me to see it get to that level.  What do they think I am, stupid?  We have too many folks out there today that can’t tell the difference between virtual values and the real world and boy their marketing comes across that way too and if you buy up everything you see then you become that way too, if you let it happen. 

Virtual Worlds, Real World We Have A Problem And It’s A Big One With A Lot of Gray Areas Finding Where The Defining Lines Exist, Confusing Many With A Lot of Weird Values And Strange Perceptions…

All the devices coming, we don’t like much of it and it doesn’t adapt to our lifestyle and we’re not (except for the strange quantified self guys out there that like everything) do it as I don’t want stats 24/7 on my body unless I’m ill and they need to be there. I’ll go into a drug store and sit down from time to time and get a blood pressure check on my own and I do that every couple months or so and you know, it’s enough for me.  I’m just tired of the constant push and when I go into a drug store I’m tackled over a flu shot over and over and over, 4 times in a 10 minute visit to Walgreens, and they have big signs all over the place too so don’t miss it.  Going into a drug store today is becoming something I don’t even like to do anymore as it’s so obnoxious with everyone in your face.  I know there’s marketing to be done but it’s over done. 

“We’re getting kind of lost in a world of “software” glut if you will.  Some of it is very close to a “me too” with a small change in user interfaces or perhaps a few different queries and is that enough to entice people to start or change?  Maybe yes and maybe no.  I’m seeing an awful lot of “virtual” world out there that ease their way over into the “real” world and some of it is not really good as people can’t tell the difference on where priorities lie at times.  I call it “The Grays”…”

“People Don’t Work That Way” A World of Broken Software Models That Don’t Align To the Human Side,Too Much Push At Times With Only A Proof of Concept That Fails in the Real World..

Is this the future living in a world of broke Bloomberg Big Gulps every time I turn around?  Even Bloomberg with all his money and influence didn’t know when to stop with a broke model and look what it cost and now it’s a joke as all his scientific numbers, or so called scientific numbers were nothing more than a proof of concept in the virtual world that didn’t work in the real world.  The city of Santa Monica is running around looking to find where people are “happy” with a million dollars that (yup you guessed it the Bloomberg Philanthropy Group) they won for some kind of weird mission.  I can tell you probably the happiest spot in Santa Monica is the beach, duh?  Anyway just another example of folks going nuts over virtual values and not in touch with the real world again as this “algorithm” when they get done is not going to give anyone anymore money, which is basically why people are stressed as they are being chased by too many “scoring” algorithms anymore and we worry that what ever our stats are will fit in the “algorithm approval” mode. 

Anyway back to wearables, can you guys just pack them up for a while, please.  We’re not interested and until you square away some privacy I’m really not interested as I know many of them wills scrape and sell data or data profiles and I’m not interested.  Tim Cook even mentioned “licensing” in his Charlie Rose interview when taking on Google and that was a little short lived music to my ears.  Again, since I used to write code and understand the data mechanics here and how the algorithms work, I’m not that interested with stats 24/7. 

Tim Cook From Apple Talks Privacy, We All Deserve That Dignity, And Our Product Is Not You..

If the doggone VCs would quit funding so much of this nonsense that won’t work, that would be nice too.  I know there’s some of this type of activity that has to go on but can we cut the nonsense down a little bit?  Let’s try and think about the human side and not all the money a VC raised for you so you don’t get side tracked into the sick circle of thinking you can “make people work that way” when they won’t.  BD 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative