imageThis was a very “touch” interview of sorts. He makes good points as far as having “public” systems available with technology. Very carefully the word “nudge” is used which I think is the right terminology. He’s right with the new tools we have coming out but I don’t think the title here for this interview was maybe correct? I do not believe he is saying that the future of medicine is technology and not the doctors, again my opinion here. I would say more so he’s telling all to “pay attention” to some of the tools that are out there, and there are some good ones. Granted we get los in the “app for everything” concept that seems to breed today and finding the “value” in what we do see as being something we can use is a task. There’s crap out there too, but again I think he’s suggesting to look for the tools out there than can guide and educate.

Sure the car is mentioned but you have to ask yourself if we are ready for this or is the best scenario in a mall as he talks about to find time to educate yourself. I say this as when you are getting in a car to drive and go somewhere you have one thing on your mind, going somewhere, where as at a mall you are not focusing on operating a car but are walking around and looking anyway. Myself I don’t want a car to tell me what’s wrong with me right now as it could be a distraction and some of the technologies that are available could be included in time, but when you are bringing in healthcare at a time when you need to be on time for an appointment, its not the right time to disrupt. We all learn at times when it is either convenient or productive when we have “time” so to constantly throw analytics in your face whenever you want to go somewhere could spoil the party if you will.


We have a lot of years without a car telling us our heart rate and other information it could offer and thus so to move too quickly in this area without some “technology baby steps” could send a good thing over the edge too quickly, we all still need to adapt, thus I think this article was just a little out of context with what Dr. Oz was trying to say here, keep all things in context I say. 

When it comes to “context” today I have a couple my favorite videos that make this point better than I can with writing additional text on the topic and here’s the links to both posts and videos.  Give them a look and see what you think as unless you know some of the mechanics today on how formulas and math are used, it’s easy to get swept away and there’s a lot of great steroid marketing out there today to do just that as it makes money and has gone beyond just pharmaceutical companies advertising. 

Pharma has done it for years, why, because it works so take time and think about what is being presented and search out what you consider to be value, and it’s not always easy today.  At times when I give some deep thought to some of what I see out there, I do laugh at times, and other times it makes me mad that some of the marketing is done strictly for money and lacks value, but we all need to make those decisions for ourselves and sort it out.  BD 

Big Data/Analytics If Used Out of Context and Without True Values Stand To Be A Huge Discriminatory Practice Against Consumers–More Honest Data Scientists Needed to Formulate Accuracy/Value To Keep Algo Duping For Profit Out of the Game

Context is Everything–More About the Dark Arts of Mathematical Deception–Professor Siefe Lecture Given at Google’s New York Office–Big Healthcare Focus



http://www.businessinsider.com/dr-oz-on-the-future-of-medicine-2012-12

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative