I have been living under a rock as this is news to me and had no idea that these imagebrownies existed.  According the the article from NBC some children have ended up in the hospital over dosed.  If they are really good tasting, I could see how that could happen. 

Melatonin is not regulated by the FDA as it is considered a supplement.  BD

CONWAY, Mass — Two Massachusetts towns are moving to ban sales of a "relaxation" brownie named Lazy Cakes, laced with melatonin and sold in food markets, after children who ate them required hospitalization.

Melatonin is a hormone produced naturally by the body and standard doses in the Unites States, where it is available over the counter, and in Europe, where a prescription is typically required, range from 0.3 mg to 3 mg.

Considered a dietary supplement rather than a drug, melatonin is not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration. Doctors say an adult dosage could be dangerous to a child, effectively acting as a strong drug akin to Valium that can cause extreme drowsiness.

Lazy Cakes are the latest snacks marketed as an antidote to energy-boosting products and everyday stress. Another is DRANK, a carbonated beverage made with "natural calming agents including melatonin, rose hips, and valerian root."

‘Relaxation' brownies send kids to the hospital - Health - Health care - More health news - msnbc.com

1 comments :

  1. I started having sleeping problems during menopause. Someone recommended melatonin and I bought some. I haven't slept this good since I was a child! I would recommend it to anyone with problems falling asleep or staying asleep. Also, I awake refreshed with no drowsiness.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative